Sunday 15 April 2012

'Non-Mothers Day' movement

While walking my dog today I came up with the idea of a 'Non-Mothers Day'.  A 'Non-Fathers Day is equally valid, but as a woman I'll go for the Non-Mothers Day first.  When I got home I googled this and what I came up with is numerous ways that non-mothers have spent Mothers Day.  This is not what I'm suggesting.  My idea of a Non-mothers Day or 'Nomos' Day (a phrase coined by Jody Day from Gateway women) is that it would be on a separate date to Mothers Day - date selection is something to consider - what would be an appropriate date for Nomos Day??  The day would celebrate the good that Nomos have done for society, such as not adding to the exponential population growth, I say with my environmental hat on.  It would also celebrate the challenges that Nomos face in our society where procreation is highly valued and rewarded and Nomos often have to search for many years to find their place in society.
I have some friends with a daughter who have never celebrated mothers day or fathers day, the reason is that it was their decision to have their daughter and thus why should their child thank them for this?  I love this idea.

4 comments:

  1. I only found out recently that the woman who invented Mother's Day, Anna Jarvis, actually had no children herself -

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Jarvis

    I would love to celebrate Nomos day! I wonder if we could coordinate something, at least among us blogging nomos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this bit about Anna Jarvis - "She and her sister Ellsinore spent their family inheritance campaigning against what the holiday had become." It is sad, but she sounds so passionate and I love passion!
    I think it would be great to coordinate something amongst us blogging nomos - have to start somewhere! Any suggestions on a date? If no-one has a better idea maybe 24 November would be appropriate - the Anniversary of Anna Jarvis' death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, 24 November is my Birthday!! Oh NO!! :)

      Delete
    2. Quick suggest another date, I'm certainly not wedded to the 24th November.

      Delete